So many options to choose from, so how does one go about securing the best certificate for bookkeeping and financial qualifications?
How to be the envy of all?
There are many courses offered both by colleges and in the online space, besides the quick short courses on the market. But if you are paying good money for a course, you want it to mean something in the market place! And you want it to be the best qualification you can possibly get.
A lot of software programmes are also now offering courses. These provide an overview and tips of the functionality and expectations.
Without disputing the knowledge that is shared with these various courses, you need to have a credible and recognized qualification behind your name and you need to look to have the best certificate for Bookkeeping and Financial qualifications in hand to SHOW your respective employers and/or your clients.
The question begs, why should you pay special attention to where you are spending your valued time and hard earned money?
This is especially important, if you want to differentiate yourself from other candidates in the market place. Becoming a true professional within your career of Finance and Bookkeeping, you will need these certificates for progress and promotions in the workplace.
Also, if you want to continue your studies at a later stage, you will need a credible qualification as a foundation. Finance careers, with the nature of integrity and detail expected, valid qualifications are not preferred, but expected. For example; Tax Practitioners have to have an NQF4/NQF5 in order to be in compliance with the SA legislation. Read more here
- You want your bookkeeping and financial qualifications to be valid and permanently recorded on SAQA – South African Qualifications Authority:
- When you have a qualification registered on SAQA you build up credits. So any extra registered learning you do, can be added to your already earned qualifications. This can shorten future studies because Recognition of Prior Learning and exemption (RPL) comes into play.
But what is RPL? Read here about RPL and have a look at all these helpful videos answering all your questions about RPL.
- A basic qualification for an entry level bookkeeper is NQF3. This programme provides articulation onto the NQF4 Further Education and Training Certificate.
- Other endorsements to look out for is Fasset – the Finance and Accounting Services Sector Education and Training Authority.
“Fasset is the Finance and Accounting Services Sector Education and Training Authority. The finance and accounting services sector is particularly important because it is the largest employer of people with financial management, accounting, and auditing skills. In 2018 more than 168 000 people worked in the sector. The demarcation and definition of this sector differs in the different data sources available, as well as in different environments. In the national accounts and in employment surveys conducted by Statistics South Africa (such as the Labour Force Survey (LFS)) the sector includes real estate activities and an array of other business services such as labour brokerages, information technology services, legal services, and engineering and architectural services. The Financial and Accounting Services Sector refers to the organisations served by Fasset. This sector includes: investment entities and trusts and company secretary services; stockbroking and financial markets; financial development organisations; accounting, bookkeeping, auditing and tax services; business and management consulting services; the South African Revenue Service; the national and provincial treasuries; and other activities auxiliary to financial intermediation, such as debt collection.” https://www.fasset.org.za/Who_we_are.html
- All credible qualifications need to be recorded on the NQF – National Qualifications Framework.
The National Qualifications Framework (NQF) is the system that records the credits assigned to each level of learning achievement in a formal way to ensure that the skills and knowledge are recognized throughout the country.
- Who is the QCTO and what role do they play?
“South Africa’s public entity responsible for quality assurance and the oversight of the design, accreditation, implementation, assessment and certification of occupational qualifications, part-qualifications and skills programmes.” https://www.qcto.org.za/
Only the QCTO will accredit Skills Development Provider (SDP) both Occupational and Trades related qualification. The SETA being FASSET for financial qualifications will monitor the quality of service. Please note the ICB operates as a Quality Assurance Partner to QCTO.
What is the difference then between ICB Qualifications and Occupational Qualifications?
In short you want to make the best decision in time and money to ensure you get the best certificate for a Bookkeeping or Financial qualification:
- You want to ensure your qualification is associated with the necessary and respected bodies, especially when you are looking at the Bookkeeping and Financial field.
- You want the qualification to be registered with SAQA, Fasset and the NQF and all your credits to be recorded.
- You will want to keep options open for later for ongoing higher education studies and articulation as well as RPL.
- You want to be able to complete your qualification and be work ready as opposed to still having to do an in-service training. NB – ALWAYS ASCERTAIN EARLY ON IF YOUR QUALIFICATION DEPENDS ON OBTAINING CREDITS WITH IN-SERVICE AFTER STUDY, AS THIS IS OFTEN A PITFALL.
- You want your qualification to be respected in the market place.
- You want your qualification to be recognized internationally.
ICB prides itself on being a Quality Assurance Partner to QCTO and registered with all applicable bodies such as FASSET, QCTO, SAQA and having our qualifications registered on the NQF.
With having a Portfolio of Evidence (PoE) as part of our examination and assessments, it means you are work ready on the successful completion of your finance, office administration and/or bookkeeping qualifications.
Make sure to get in touch with us today to ensure you get the best certificate in Bookkeeping and Financial qualifications – a qualification that works!