Recognition of Prior Learning
- To be recognised and acknowledged
- An NQF registered qualification
- To advance your career
If you have any of the following;
- Previous knowledge in a particular field or
- Relevant work experience or
- A previous qualification or
- A part qualification
You can apply for RPL – Recognition of Prior Learning.
Have a look at our RPL webinar, which will give you an in-depth view of what Recognition of Prior Learning is all about and how it can benefit you.
How does the ICB RPL Work?
To be considered for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and get credit towards an ICB qualification (note: this is not guaranteed), your previous qualifications or part-qualifications must be registered on the NQF and should have been attained within the last five years. If your NQF-registered qualifications are more than five years old, you will also need to provide proof of more recent, relevant work experience.
How to apply for ICB RPL
- Read the Guidelines for Recognition of Prior Learning.
- Submit the ICB Student Details Form along with proof of payment of the ICB’s RPL administration fee.
- Submit your detailed CV.
- Submit transcripts of any formal registered qualifications you hold.
- Submit the accreditation certificate or proof of accreditation of the training provider who awarded your previous qualifications / part-qualifications (e.g. DHET, Seta’s QASP, Umalusi, CHE).
- Submit the NQF level and SAQA qualification registration number for your previous courses. E.g. For the National Certificate: Bookkeeping the NQF level is Level 3 and the SAQA number is 58375.
The ICB will review your application and may offer you credits based on subjects you’ve already passed, or ask you to complete an RPL Portfolio of Evidence (PoE).
Is there a cost involved with the ICB RPL?
If you qualify for exemptions and want to accept the credits, you will need to pay another fee to be granted full or conditional exemptions. You must also be registered with the ICB.
The following documents need to be submitted with the initial application:
- Student details form
- Copy of the payment deposit slip / proof of payment
- Official copies of previous course results (transcript of results), obtained from a registered/accredited training provider. Note: Foreign qualifications need a SAQA “Certificate of Evaluation” included
- A detailed CV explaining your work experience and including references from relevant jobs
- A copy of ID book
- A letter from the Manager confirming work experience (if applicable)
If the RPL Review Board has further requirements it will be communicated with you directly.
Download the RPL policy here
For more information read through the Guidelines for Recognition of Prior Learning.
Have additional questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us.